Monday, March 15, 2010

Japanese Bakeries

One of the most cost efficient, yet very enjoyable ways to eat while staying in Japan is by going to the bakery. Bakeries are very common in Japan and you can find them virtually anywhere. The quality and price levels vary drastically however.

I suppose one should also note that bakeries in Asia tend to be quite a bit different than bakeries in North America. The majority of Japanese people still don’t eat very much bread on a daily basis and if you are in the market for a loaf of bread, you’re pretty much stuck with the white variety. Whole grain and wheat bread s are very uncommon if not downright impossible to find. I was forced to buy my own bread maker in order to get my fix of whole wheat bread!

Bakeries here tend to have more dessert type items and a lot of other “meal-type” breads. Although very different than the bread I’m used to buying back in Canada, it is still however, quite good.


Often, when I am by myself and want to grab a quick bite to eat I simply pop into a bakery and grab some of the interesting bread-like snacks you can get.

This afternoon, I made my way to downtown Kobe. I decided that it was a great day to head to a park and eat outside. It was overcast, yet warm. I popped into a bakery in Motomachi called Isuzu Bakery. As far as bakeries go, it is relatively upscale, but most things in the Motomachi neighborhood are. The food choices are nice, but a little on the pricey since. Although it is an expensive bakery (still far cheaper than eating at a restaurant) it has a great reputation in Kobe and has some nice food for sale.




I bought a type of bread that is basically like a thin and hollowed out baguette. Inside was Dijon mustard and sausage. It was really quite nice. I have had a similar snack at other bakeries. Although I did pay a little too much for this (262yen) it was still a quick, easy and tasty lunch. I sat in Merikan Park near the water and enjoyed it while watching a group of about 200 Korean tourists gallivanting about the park.

1 comment:

  1. Totally with you on the bakery thing. I love to stop in for a quick treat now and then - they have some interesting and tasty sweets, too!

    I've always found it strange that you can only get (almost exclusively) white bread in Japan, too. Odd!

    ReplyDelete